Tuesday, May 12, 2009

HATE

A segment of society feeling strongly about one issue or another overstates the position of those that disagree. An overused word du jour is hate. If you are against gay marriage you’re a gay hater if you did not vote for BHO you’re a race hater if you do not want to pay higher taxes you’re an America hater. I don’t believe pro-abortionists are infant haters or anti-school choice people are child haters or that politicians causing the national debt explosion are child haters they are all just badly miss-guided.

5 comments:

patb said...

Where did all these people miss out, or were they not listening?

How do we fix it? But then again, they think they are right and everyone else is wrong. No changing bullheaded minds.

Sean M. said...

You are right. My mother always told me, "Hate is a very strong word." I think there is a lot of wisdom in that line. We should never say we hate people, or that people are haters. On the other hand, to say someone hates abortion or hates high taxes is totally reasonable. That doesn't mean you hate the people who make those things possible, just that you hate what they do.

Sean M. said...

Another quote that just came to mind:

"Hate the sin, love the sinner."

I think that applies here as well.

patb said...

Sean, your mother learned this a long time ago, I'm proud of her, and now of you.

Gretchen said...

I agree with Pat. Some people are just not listening. I don't think people who are against gay marriage hate all gays. I think they just aren't listening - gays don't want your church to change they are only asking for the same CIVIL rights. But then again, there is no changing bullheaded minds, even when they are badly miss-guided.

Then again watch Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity from the Bush years, America Haters was a term they used daily to denounce those of us who did not agree with Bush's policies. The word hate is not du jour, it is stale and I agree overused.