Sunday, March 4, 2007

A Thief In The Night

We can no longer ignore the thief that enters our house occasionally. He (or she) comes in the night and steals things. We think he must have his own key because he leaves no evidence of his break-in. Sometimes he returns a few days later and replaces the things he stole. He’s not very smart, however, because sometimes he puts them back in a different location. As an example, today we were looking for an attachment to an appliance we bought 3 or 4 years ago. We know exactly where we put it but it was no longer there. We looked for hours and finally found it where neither of us ever put it. While looking we found other things we were looking for a while ago that the thief had obviously moved. Sometimes he opens a window or door and leaves it open all night. Occasionally he goes in our bathroom and leaves the toilet seat up. I’ve never heard him enter our house but Nancy thinks she heard him a few times. She used to hear him most often when I was traveling on business. We noticed lately he is coming with increasing frequency and I intend to do something about it some day.

4 comments:

paulette said...

Since I have been living alone (for all intents and purposes) my "thief" has stopped coming. Everything is always where I put it. Except when it isn't.

Anonymous said...

If I had a thief like that it would really bug me. All my things are in the same place I put them, even the toilet seat. A bigger problem, for me, is the thief who steal little pieces of my memory - something I know that I know but just cannot remember. Then, like your example, I eventually find it in a place where it does not belong.

cheryl said...

On rare occasions I have had a thief come to our house. Clearly no one is exempt. I know that I have purposely put something in a specific spot, when I go back to retrieve it.... it's not there... it has been moved to a place... I know I would never put it.

John Beauregard said...

Cheryl....Thankgoodness. For a while there I thought the thief was only targeting our generation.