Monday, April 13, 2009

Best $50 Ever Spent

Yesterday Navy Seal sharp shooters killed the three Somali pirates holding the captain of the Mersk Alabama with only three bullets. I don’t know what a sharp shooter’s bullet costs but I guess about $15 to $20 each. If so, those three bullets were the most cost effective items ever bought by our military. My congratulations to Mr. Obama for authorizing the killing. I admit I did not think Mr. Obama had the stones to do what was necessary to protect American citizens.

3 comments:

Marcel said...

$50.00? You are using the pricing standards you learned at Rockwell. By my mass production standards the price per piece, purchased in bulk, is nearer to .20 cents. So the savings are greater yet. Of course, for a good cost-benifits analysis, the seals time, rifles and per diem should be factored in. Still a good deal.

John Beauregard said...

You may be closer than I to the bulk cost of bullets to the military. However, last December I bought a 10 foot length of 1/2 inch copper flexible pipe for about $60!! At $6 a foot for copper pipe I got to believe the cost of the raw materials (brass & lead) alone are in the $3 to $5 range. Add to that the quality control / product assurance standards and testing and you are in the $5 to $10 per bullet range.

I consider the cost of the other items you mention to be sunk costs (i.e. paid whether or not they killed the pirates).

I cannot express how much I respect our military in general and our special forces in particular. They deserve better than our liberal politicians and LSM dish out.

patb said...

You two are really funny with your cost analysis, all I say is Hooray for the seals, now we should blow up Somalia.