Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Objective News

I believe the American public is being ill served by their information sources today. There is no longer objectivity in news reporting. Every so-called “news” organization whether TV, radio or print purports to be objective but indeed have biased agendas and often lie to promote their agenda. Some are worse than others, like NYT, CNN, CBS and NBC who want the public to think they are objective so you will rely on them for information even if it is untrue. On the other hand there are talk shows like Hardball (Chris Mathews) Limbaugh, Hannity and internet blogs like Daily Koss and Moveon.org. that make no pretense of objectivity. They too lie openly to promote their agenda but, knowing their biases, their lies are obvious and transparent. So what is a thinking person to do to get reliable information to form their conclusions? DO NOT rely on a single source for information. Be skeptical of all sources claiming to be objective. If you want both sides of every issue you have to work for it and listen/watch sources with competing agendas. Most people are too busy to watch/listen to one information source much less multiple sources. These people often rely on Saturday Night Live or David Letterman as their only source of political information. Is it any wonder that we now have two deeply flawed presidential candidates?

4 comments:

Marcel said...

I had to chuckle at your reference to getting information from late night commedians. They are funny because they carry a grain of truth but are not reliable sources of information. You might have added Stewart and Colbert.

Adrienne said...

should I judge by your omission of FOX News from both the subversively non-objective and the overtly non-objective, that you then believe them to BE objective?

I have come to realize that the "news" especially the cable news, is a for profit business. It, just like Gossip Girl or 2 1/2 Men are out to get the advertisers, they are after the ratings. They must pander to their audience.

I totally agree that you must cull multiple bits of information from many different places, and then trust in yourself to for a concientious opinion.

John Beauregard said...

Adrienne - My lists are illustrative not exhaustive. (What part of "every" did you not understand?)
You and your sister Ericka are part of the informed minority that take the time to watch/listen to opposing views to then make your own assessments. (Ericka watched both the DNC and the RNC.) Even though we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum I respect your thirst for an informed decision.

EZ Travel said...

I must admit I get most of my news from John Stewart and Colbert (yes, Uncle Marcel, Colbert is generally funnier these days). But when it matters I look deeper--all the way to NPR. I am sure Adrienne watched more of both conventions than I did. I tried, but having a four year old really inhibits my ability to watch anything before 9pm.

I concur that, although we disagree on most (if not all) major issues of the day, we are cut from the same cloth as far as trying to make informed decisions. And, I must admit, it is kind of fun to find out what my conservative uncles are thinking because it gives me an insight into an informed conservative mind, rather than the ridiculously "fair and balanced" view into the republican mind I can find on Fox News, etc.