Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Feeding The Soul

I’ve heard that food feeds the body, books feed the mind and music feeds the soul. Tonight our souls are well fed. We attended our fourth live outdoor concert on the Redondo Beach pier. These concerts are held every Saturday and Tuesday nights all summer long for a total of 19 concerts. No two concerts have the same genre and they always include audience dancing. The genre tonight was Zydeco and one of the audience dancers was almost as entertaining as the live music. What a great benefit of Southern California living.

7 comments:

EZ Travel said...

I admit I had to look it up. Here is a link for others who have no idea what zydeco is.

It is great that you take advantage of living in a metropolitan area. We have some live concerts in the park just at the end of our street but we mostly get the small band that usually plays at weddings. Nothing as exciting as zydeco.

John Beauregard said...

As Erica learned, Zydeco is Cajun music mostly from south Louisiana (New Orleans). Many of the songs have French words. I like Zydeco because it reminds me of the French Canadian music of my youth in visits to Canada. Nancy, not so much.

paulette said...

I actually know a couple of zydeco songs and try as I might I can't think why I know them. They are "Ils on changez ma chancon, Ma" and "Lessez les bon temps roullez". (there is supposed to be a cidilla(?) under the second c of chancon but I don't know how to get it)

In english they are "Look what they've done to my song, Ma" and "Let the Good Times Roll".

cheryl said...

I love cajun food.

Tim B. said...

I'm with Aunt Nancy on dis one. Not a big fan of de zydeco, I gare-on-tee !

Anonymous said...

Our aunts: Marie Claire, Violet and Julia were all interested in Zydeco and did buy some sheet music to play it. However, I never say anybody in Canada play the washboard.

John Beauregard said...

They don't use washboards anymore. They are replaced by the frottoir which serves the exact same function but, in my opinion, does not sound the same.